Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Name

Well folks, it's official. After becoming addicted to the blogs of my sister-in-law (here) and future sister-in-law (here), I have decided to start my own. I'm sure my posts will be FAR less exciting since I'm not married with a million children or planning a dream wedding, but maybe someone will find it worth the read. :)

I tried and tried and triiiiiiiiied to enter names for this blog, but unfortunately, everyone else seems to have the same title ideas as me! Damn. I finally succeeded with "High Hopes & Heartbreak." It's the name of a song, but that's not the reason I chose it. I thought the name was fitting because it pretty much sums up where I'm at in my life right now. This whole graduating from college (for the second time) and searching for a job thing has proven to be quite the emotional rollercoaster. Some days are up, some are down, hence the high hopes and heartbreak. I've come so close to getting a job on multiple occasions, but as my high school history teacher told me, "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." He was so right. I mean, it's great to get interviews and to know that people think you're capable of doing a job well, but when you don't get hired, it starts to make you question yourself and what you're doing wrong. I'm constantly reminded that not getting the job doesn't mean I'm not qualified or that I didn't interview well, but even if that's true, it's not that encouraging sometimes. Over the past few months, I've heard just about everything from everyone, whether they're asking a question or giving advice. Here are some things I could stand to never hear again:

- "Did you find a job yet?" (Um, no, would I be here if I had one?)
- "The right job will come along eventually." (When, in 5 years?)
- "There IS a job out there for you..." (Yeah? Why don't I have one?)
- "What the heck is Student Affairs Administration?"
- "Have you tried looking at the Clinic for jobs?" (I still haven't figured out why people have made the connection between my degree and the clinic. It's a mystery...)
- "How many applications do you have out there?"
- "The economy is really rough right now." (Ya think?)
- "What will you do if you don't get a job before the school year starts?" (I. don't. know.)
- "EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON." (I seriously hear this one like every day. While I do believe it and appreciate people saying it to make me feel better, it doesn't make me feel better right now because I stillllllll don't have a job.)

I'm sure there are more things that drive me crazy, but this is enough for now! I feel like a whiney little brat right now, but it's hard not to be discouraged sometimes! And while I was kind of comical about hating the things people say, I do want to stress the fact that I'm VERY thankful for all the kind words and encouragement I have received from everyone. Keep crossing your fingers for me. The right job will come along eventually, right? ;)

No comments: