Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sex and the City

As usual, today is reserved for nothing but pure laziness. I can't even explain how much I love Sundays (minus the fact that it means Monday is that much closer). Anyway, I just turned on my TV and flipped to an episode of Sex and the City. I own all the seasons, and I've watched them from start to finish multiple times. However, I still get just as excited when it's on TV! And to make today even better, I just so happened to turn it on at the exact point when Carrie was saying one of my all-time favorite lines from the show. Here's a little context. In this episode, Carrie's boyfriend breaks up with her by writing it on a Post-It. Later that night, she's out with the girls and sees a bunch of her infamous ex's friends. She walks over and talks to them, and in the process tells them about the break-up. The guy's friends defend his actions by saying that maybe he broke up with her that way since girls can be scary when you try to break up with them. He also boiled it down to the fact that he doesn't believe there's any "good" way to break up with someone. Carrie's awesome response?
"It's funny you should mention that, because actually, there is. You can have the guts and the courtesy to tell a woman, to her face, that you no longer want to see her. Call me crazy but, I think that you can make a point of ending your relationship in a manner that does not include an e-mail, a doorman, or a missing persons report. I think you could all get over your fear of looking like the bad guy and actually have the uncomfortable break-up conversation because, here's what, avoiding that is what makes you the bad guy. And just so you know, most women aren't angry, irrational psychos. We just want an ending to a relationship that is thoughtful and decent and honors what we had together. So my point is this, there IS a good way to break-up with someone, and it doesn’t involve a Post-It!"

I don't know why I love that part so much, but I think she's got some pretty good points. No one likes to have "the" talk when it comes to breaking up, but there are definitely better ways to approach it than others. Anyway, I know this is a totally random entry, but I just thought it was a crazy coincidence that I turned on the TV at the exact moment she was saying one of my favorite lines. Oh, I tell ya. Gotta love SATC! :)

No comments: