Tuesday, September 28, 2010

One Step At A Time

As you know, last Monday I had a phone interview for a Career Services Coordinator position at MIAD. After I got off the phone, I was really uncertain about how it went. I felt like I was out of practice, so of course, I kept thinking to myself, "Yep, I definitely *bleeped* that up." The guy who interviewed me told me they would notify finalists either by the end of last week or early this week. The negativity in me creeped out and based on my uncertainty after the phone interview, I thought I'd probably be out of the running. Flash forward to last Friday. I went to La Crosse for Oktoberfest (an entry on that crazy weekend to be posted soon), and because I adore my co-workers from UW-L, I made a point to stop in and visit people. Get this. While I was IN the Career Services office talking about all my job-related frustrations, my cell phone rang. I looked down and saw a Milwaukee number calling, so inside I was freaking out, but on the outside, I just casually muted the call. I got an encouraging pep talk from everyone reminding me that I'm far from out of the running in terms of getting a job, so it was kind of ironic to get a call about a job while I was there. Turns out, the call was for an on-campus interview, wahoo!! It's happening next Wednesday (Oct. 6), and I'm really excited. Based on the interview details I received, it'll be quite a bit different than the other interviews I've had. First, I meet with the director of Career Services and get a tour of the building and what not. Then I meet with the interview committee which consists of these people: Director of Career Services; Director of Human Resources; Director of Academic Operations; Assistant Director of Library Services; and Dean of Students. For those of you who are unfamiliar with position titles in higher education, what you need to know is that I will be meeting with some very important people. Holy moly, I'm nervous! They're just people, Renee, they're just people. :) Anyway, the whole process will only take 2 hours, which seems like a cake walk considering my other interviews were anywhere from 4-7 hours long. Kind of funny, I have to drive 7-8 hours round trip for a 2-hour interview, but hey, if it gets me a job, then so be it. This whole driving to Milwaukee thing is becoming quite familiar (this is my 3rd on-campus in the city), so hopefully this one's the one. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: