Monday, October 24, 2011

Anna Rexia

Okay, I will start out by saying that this is going to seem like a really weird post, but I saw something today that really bothered me and I wanted to share. I'm usually not one to get too "preachy" or whatever, but one of my Facebook friends posted a link today that just made me really disgusted and sad. (For the record, he posted it because he was disgusted too.) Here goes.

It's no secret that Halloween offers people a chance to dress up in a variety of ways, and it often gives girls an excuse to dress in provocative costumes without much regard for how that makes them look. Hell, I've been guilty of it. I went to Madison for Halloween my first year of college, and when I pulled out my costume that I naively bought at Target, I was immediately told that I needed to 'sex' it up. And that I did. Sad that that is the standard these days. Anyway, that brings me to my point. The link I mentioned above led me to an article about a Halloween costume that crosses several lines in my opinion. The title of that article? "'Sexy Anorexia' Halloween Costume Controversy." Wait, what? Are you kidding me? There is actually a costume out there calling anorexia SEXY?! In case you're wondering about the title of my entry, the costume includes a nametag that says "Anna Rexia." Wow. Now you see what I mean about this crossing so many lines? I could go on and on about what I find wrong with this, but I think the article does a good job summing it up. Read it.

And if you don't read it, then this costume description should demonstrate my point pretty damn clearly: "If Anna Rexia doesn't want to put it in her mouth there is nothing you can say to change her mind. You can stop trying to sell her on the point that there aren't any carbs and it's all protein because Anna Rexia just doesn't want anything to do with it. Make no bones about it this girl is as disciplined as they can get. Anna Rexia costume is anything but bare bones! Costume includes headband, choker neckband, removable ‘Anna Rexia’ badge and ribbon tie belt. If you're starving for attention, this costume will be sure to put you on top of the world."

The fact that anorexia is an illness, and a life-threatening one at that, makes me feel really disgusted that retailers are even willing to sell this costume. Hell, who designed this costume?! I know, I know, there are plenty of costume ideas out there that are pretty offensive on multiple levels (i.e., pregnant nuns, anything related to male and female genitalia, etc.), but to essentially make fun of something that takes people's lives on a daily basis just isn't funny to me. Again, sorry if I seem preachy or if you don't find this as offensive as I do. I just couldn't help but share my feelings on the matter. Rest assured, I will NEVER be wearing that costume!

"Anna Rexia" Costume

No comments: