Thursday, June 27, 2013

Feeling Inspired!

I'm not sure what's gotten into me over the past couple days, but I've been spending FAR too much time online looking at various crafty items that are makin' me feel all inspired. :) Awhile back, I mentioned a bit of a 'dream wish' to make a bunch of fun items (well, mostly envelopes) and sell them on Etsy, but quite honestly, I've never known where to begin. I still don't. But that doesn't mean I can't try to find ideas and think of ways to make that happen someday. These thoughts are seriously what get me through my daily life sometimes. I mean, I know I have a good life, but I often dream about what it would be like if I could be so good at making crafts and doing things I really love that I could 'live' on that. Or at least bring in some income from it. L and I sometimes talk about that too. We can get ourselves in a decent place financially and then I could do this as my job. Will it ever happen? Probably not? But the possibility makes me swoon. :)

Anyway, there are a couple of things that are really exciting me lately. First, I have been doing some research on the Adobe Creative Suite of programs as a way to help me tap into my creativity and design things like cards and invites. It's a long shot, and I don't know that I'll ever do it, but I'm thinking about buying CS6 because I can get it for $199 through the university. In case that still sounds like a lot to you, keep in mind that if you were to buy it on Adobe's site, it would cost you a whopping $1,299 for the version I'd get. Seriously, I don't know how that's even possible. The Suite includes the following programs, some of which I don't even know what they do: Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, InDesign CS6, Acrobat X Pro, Bridge CS6, and Media Coder CS6. More than I'd ever need, but such a great deal. I've found some pretty good resources online that would help teach me the programs, but that is definitely more of a long-term goal. Just keeping my options open, and if I ever leave my job, I will be sure to order it before I go. ;)

The second thing I'm pumped about is that I got back to making a few envelopes the other night. Pretty simple, but kinda fun. I like the color combo, and I'm a fan of tiny envelopes! I really enjoy playing with different color schemes and patterns, so these are just a couple that I've come up with recently.
 

Beyond the envelopes, I started thinking about how it might be cool to either buy or make some fun stickers to include with those envelopes if I ever get around to selling them. I do have a product called Lick & Stick that allows you to role on a 'liquid,' and that liquid dries into the same stuff that's put on regular envelopes to seal them. You can lick it and everything, hence the name. So, up until now, I've just been using that or some glue to seal the envelopes. However, if people were to buy them, I thought having some stickers to seal the envelopes could be kind of fun too. Maybe I'd still put the 'glue' on there too and just give them the option to do either or. The cool gold glittery stickers below are jumping out at me right now (I love the triangular shape as well as the glitter), but of course they'd only go with certain envelopes. That would be my problem. So many of my envelopes have sassy patterns, so I'm not sure there's really a one-size-fits-all type of sticker for me. That doesn't mean I can't still love 'em. ;)

Courtesy of INKKIT

As I was looking through shops for triangle stickers, I also happened to run across a few other items that are just way cool in my opinion. I can't even possibly link to all the Etsy shops that I looked at today because I'm pretty sure it was about a billion of 'em, but there were a few things that made me feel really excited about the possibilities that could be in my future. One of those items, as weird as it sounds, is tissue paper confetti. I have always wanted to do something like that, and seeing that others do it too is pretty fun and makes me feel less crazy. Another item is tissue paper poms. I watched a number of tutorial videos tonight, and they seem way easier to make than they should. Now, I haven't tried them, so I shouldn't say that, because I will probably 'f' them up when I try, ha! But still. It's fun and easy and cheap compared to buying them for too much money in the store. Some of the people in Etsy who sell these types of items have sold so many products and have such great feedback, and I think to myself, "Hey, that could be me someday!" I'll just be counting on all of you to help me promote myself. ;) Below is some inspiration.

 Courtesy of PomLove
Courtesy of createandadorn

On a somewhat related note, many of you know that I have an unhealthy relationship with wrapping paper. I mean seriously, it's a problem. I don't even have any presents to wrap at the moment, but I have bought 9 new rolls within the last month alone. Damn it, Target! Walgreens has also been snagging me. I usually wait to pick up my prescription (birth control, eee;), and while I wait, I always seem to find myself in the party supplies aisle. It's dangerous. It's so bad that sometimes I don't even tell L that I bought more for fear that he'll judge me, ha! Anyway, with that love of wrapping paper also comes a pretty strong affinity for tissue paper as well. I always have some on hand and get excited whenever I see new patterns and designs. That dang Cartwheel app I mentioned recently hasn't helped with this problem either because there is currently a 10% coupon off one of Target's brands of tissue paper. I may or may not have spent a load of money tonight buying a bunch of tissue paper to add to my already large collection. At some point, I've gotta stop, but I credit this purchase on being inspired, so I figured I better roll with it. (Man, am I good at justifying my spending or what?!;) Below is a picture of the different tissue paper I bought tonight...

  (Don't mind the weird brown spots on my floor. My carpet is weird, ha.)

All that tissue paper made even more fun with a box to store it in. I already owned the box, don't worry;).

Based on the inspiration above, I think this tissue paper will come in very handy. Confetti, pom poms, the ideas are endless! :) Not to mention, it's just fun to adorn gifts with such pretty designs. I only wish everyone shared the same appreciate for pretty paper that I do. Oh well. And this brings me to another somewhat impulsive set of purchases. Because I'm weirdly into the confetti idea for some reason, I thought to myself, "How on earth am I going to make that happen?" Fortunately, I have a former scrapbooking background, and I used to be insane with the amount of stuff I had. I actually still have a lot of it, and it's proving to come in handy all these years later. Anyway, from those days, I remember these little 'punch' tools that I had, and so I started searching online for some of those. Boy, did I find some... Below are the ones I ordered. I think they will be pretty cool, and I'm excited for them to come in the mail! I think they will also be cool for decorating cards and envelopes too. Man, exciting! (All products courtesy of EK Tools.)

 1" Circle Punch
 Flag Punch
 1" Scallop Punch
 Swirls Punch
1/8" Circle Punch (I'm thinking of cutting these teeny holes in some of the other shapes to possibly create little banners or chains or something. Something kinda like this, except cooler;). Not really sure how that will go, but the little tool was only $4.99, and ordering it allowed me to get free shipping. Score!

The last thing really catching my eyes these days is something called Washi Tape. Ever heard of it? Yeah, me neither. Here's a description in case you're curious. There are tons of people on Etsy that sell the stuff. I can't believe I didn't know it existed until now! Why it intrigues me is because it could potentially allow me to buy more 'plain' colors of paper (cheaper) for envelopes and then spruce up the envelopes with the tape. Sounds kinda fun, right?! I have no idea how it would work, so I suppose I should just get a trial roll or two before I buy like the 25 rolls in my Etsy cart right now, huh? ;) Here's a taste of a few rolls I have my eye on.

Courtesy of TapeToGo (above and below)


 Courtesy of ModernTape
Courtesy of whimsicalcraftss (above and below)


So, there you have it, folks. This post has quite a few random thoughts in it, but that's just where my head is at right now. I am just really excited about this stuff. Even if I never try to sell it, or if I do and no one buys it, at least I'm having fun tapping into my creative side and treating my loved ones to some pretty things. I must confess, it's right now that I miss being in my old two-bedroom apartment because that spare bedroom would come in way handy at this point. It could have been my little craft room! How fun. Maybe someday I'll end up with a room like that. I think me and L would both love to have a room in a house that allowed us an opportunity just escape and create, so perhaps that is in my future after all. ;) Anyway, I'll keep you posted as this progresses! Thanks for reading!

No comments: