Saturday, June 22, 2013

Guacamole!

I'm back, and so soon! Are your minds just spinning with how much I've been posting lately?! This is what happens when you have some of that little thing called time. ;) Anyway, as mentioned in my previous post, I was going to share with you my guacamole recipe that I use. It's about as simple as they come, and I'm sure there are plenty of variations out there that are both better and worse than this one. For my tastes, this one works just perfectly! I made mention of this guacamole a long time ago in my NutriBullet post, but I never shared it, so it's time to change that! Before I share, I should mention that while I put all the ingredients in my NutriBullet and pulse it a bit to make the guac, I would guess that you could make it relatively easy without such a 'tool' as well. If you do have a NutriBullet or a food processor or something, take note that it doesn't move much after the first couple pulses due to the thickness of the avocado. At the point it stops moving, I usually just open it up and scoop it out into a bowl and then just stir it up a bit on my own to make sure everything's mixed up. Works flawlessly! Anyway, here's the recipe!

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
  • Juice of 1 lime wedge (I used juice from half a lime)
  • 1 Tbsp cilantro (I had fresh, so I didn't measure. I don't go overboard, otherwise that's all you taste.)
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/2 clove garlic
  • Sea salt and pepper to taste
(The recipe does not call for it, but I also added two small Thai peppers to mine to give it a little kick. You might choose to add jalepeno or something if you'd like, but it's totally up to you! See a picture below to learn what Thai peppers look like in case you're ever on the hunt for them.)

DIRECTIONS

Place all ingredients in NutriBullet (this is obviously specific to my product). Pulse with the Extractor Blade several times until well combined but still coarse.

That's it! Easy peasy, right?! These ingredients don't sound like they make much, but it makes a fairly good portion if you don't have many people eating it. And what's nice is that you could easily increase everything if you want to make more! Sadly, I just realized as I typed out this recipe that I forgot to add garlic to mine today, but that's okay. It still tastes pretty damn good if I do say so myself! ;)

Thai peppers! In case you're curious, these peppers can usually be found at farmer's markets (if in season) or at Asian markets. L and I struck out at the farmer's market last weekend because it might be a bit too early yet, but we made a haul at the Asian market not too far from my place. I'm not as familiar with them as L is, so he suggested I buy a bunch and freeze them. The picture above is after I rinsed them all and cut off the stems. You certainly don't have to cut the stems off, but it makes it easier when you want to use them down the road because you don't have to get cold fingers from doing it then. Anyway.... I used two of these peppers in my guacamole (below), and every once in awhile, I get a nice kick of heat. Love it! Hope you enjoy it if you give it a shot! :)

No comments: