Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Color Run

Alright, kids. I think I might just be crazy. Why, you might ask? Because I signed up for a 5k that's taking place in less than 2 weeks, and I haven't done an ounce of training for it. Yeah. Remember way back in the day (well, like a year ago) when I was really committed to the idea of doing a 5k? No? Well, see here. I was really excited about the idea, but then I experienced some health issues that got in the way. Sadly, once the health stuff got cleared up, I didn't get back on the saddle and make it happen, and I've been sort of regretting that ever since. But, as they often say, "It's never too late, right?!" That leads me to my point. A couple weeks ago, a girl I met through some previous work events emailed me and asked if I'd have any interest in joining her and a team of people for a 5k in Racine called The Color Run on May 19. I recommend checking out the link, but here's a basic overview. All people, young and old, runners and non-runners, big and little (okay, you get the picture), are encouraged to participate, as it is less about a "race" than it is about having fun. As you make your way through the 3.1 mile course wearing your white t-shirt, people on the sidelines will throw this colored powder at you, and by the end of the race, you are completely covered in a variety of different colors. It sounds weird, but it looks awesome!! It actually kind of looks like paint, but regardless, people look like they have such a good time! Check out the video below if you want to see more. Like I said, it's not really a race. Some people run, some people walk, it really doesn't matter. They don't time you or even put a limit on how long the race takes because people just enjoy going through the course at their own pace. I figure if I'm going to do a 5k, this is the PERFECT one to start with! The people I'm participating with are supposedly not overly athletic and probably won't run the whole thing, so I just feel like this will be a great thing because that is exactly how I need it to be with no training. I just registered today, so now I'm committed because it costs a decent amount of money, and I also don't want to back out on my "team." And as if the race itself doesn't sound awesome enough, they do a post-race concert to celebrate. Man, good stuff. Should be a great time, and I look forward to sharing more about the experience once I do it! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nee this looks amazing, good luck and enjoy!!! - Pigg -

Renee said...

Thanks Pigg! I'm pretty pumped! You're welcome to come down and visit next weekend so you can join in on the action. Think about it! :)

Unknown said...

I agree with Pigg...this looks SO fun! I think we should do another one later this summer...(see how ambitious I am on Day 1 of baby;)....
Have FUN!!!! And take some photos after!!!:)