Sunday, May 22, 2011

Ahhh, Tornado!!!

For the first time in three months, I was able to get back up to La Crosse for a weekend. Long overdue, and I had SUCH an awesome time (more details soon)!! Well, it was awesome minus the fact that a tornado hit as I was driving out of town. While I lived in La Crosse, I was always told that a tornado will never touch down where 3 rivers meet (hence the reason there had never been a recorded tornado in La Crosse before). That fact, or should I say myth, always made me feel comforted. Unfortunately, that story changed today because they were hit by a tornado. I knew the weather was supposed to be bad, but I didn't think it'd be THAT bad. Had I known, I would've ducked out of town earlier. Based on how the drive went, though, I'm pretty sure I would've hit some of that weather no matter how early I went home. I left La Crosse right around 4:00pm, and I got out of town JUST in time because the sky turned black and the clouds were a'spinnin'. Not cool. For those of you who don't know me well, you should know that me and tornadoes do NOT go well together. They are easily my biggest fear. For real. I literally almost have panic attacks when they are anywhere near me, and I came dangerously close to them two separate times in my drive back today. I may or may not have cried in my car. While driving. While it was pouring. That always helps the situation. Right... My body STILL feels like jello from being so tense during the drive. I think the only time that I was more fearful in a situation involving tornadoes was 3 years ago in June when I literally thought I was going to die in one in the Dells. I'd been in Madison for my college roommate's wedding, and we were all going to Noah's Ark the next day to celebrate. On the way there, we got caught in a HORRIFIC storm, and I was seriously afraid for my life. I even called my parents with that whole, "In case I don't make it out alive" speech. Not even kidding. Today felt very similar, and the fact that I was the one behind the wheel this time was too scary for words. There were a couple moments when I genuinely considered abandoning my car and jumping in the ditch, but I decided to keep on trucking in hopes of beating it. Probably not smart, but I made it. Horrifying. Anyway, needless to say, I was SO happy to get home tonight!! My thoughts are going out to my peeps in La Crosse (and elsewhere) who were affected by the tornadoes! :(

No comments: