Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Pad Thai!

It's actually kinda scary how much cooking I've been able to do lately. It's also kinda scary that I've been able to blog about it practically in real-time too. Man, it's amazing how a free weekend and few low-stress weeknights really changes things for me! I've been really excited with the things I've been making and how well they've been turning out, so that definitely helps the inspiration. L often asks me why I never cook for him. To be honest, I'm not sure. Part of it is because he always has great ideas for what to make, and he makes amazing food, so why would I argue against it if he's going to fill my belly with deliciousness?! (I don't mean that in a bitchy way, either. I just have great respect for what he can do in the kitchen, and I am very appreciative of it.) But really, I think my confidence is still growing, and I also am more comfortable in my own kitchen when no one is watching me. These past few meals have really helped with that, so I'm hoping someday soon I can cook for him and 'take care' of him like he does for me! :) Until then, I'll at least show you, my few faithful readers, what I've been up to in the event that it inspires you to try something new once in awhile. My most recent creation? Pad Thai! I'm not sure if you've ever had it or what you think, but this is a variation of the super traditional recipe, and I found it to be quite delicious. The original recipe is here, but I didn't make many variations at all. I'll share some photos and the recipe as usual. Let me know what you think!

 The ingredients!
 First step is soaking the rice noodles! (8 oz.)
 Next is making the sauce! (Soy sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, and Sriracha)
 Cut up those green onions, and keep the green and white parts separate!
 Mince a little garlic.
 Chop up some peanuts and cilantro (for garnish).
Crack a couple eggs and then beat 'em up!
 Throw your oil in the pan.
 Then saute your garlic and the white part of the scallions.
 Add in the egg and cook it for a little bit.
 Take the egg out and set it aside for now.
 Add the rice noodles into the pan (after you've drained them).
 Add in the green part of the scallions.
 Pour in the sauce.
 
 Mix it all up!:)
 Add the eggs back in and mix it all up!
 Plate it up and enjoy!:)

INGREDIENTS
  • 8 ounces dried, wide and flat rice noodles (I found a 16 oz. package at the grocery store and just used half of the package. You should hopefully be able to find some in the Asian section of the grocery store.)
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 squirt (about 1/8 teaspoon) Sriracha (Optional, but I'd recommend it! I used more than one squirt:)
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 3 scallions (green onions), white and green parts, separated and thinly sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 large eggs, light beaten (Optional. I put eggs in, but I might skip it next time.)
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts

DIRECTIONS
  • Soak noodles according to package instructions. Drain.
  • In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce, and Sriracha. (The original blogger mentioned that some people preferred to double the sauce because the noodles don't come out very saucy otherwise. I added just a teeny bit more Sriracha and soy sauce, but I stuck pretty close to the original measurements. It's up to you if you want to make more sauce!)
  • In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
  • Add eggs and cook, scraping skillet with spatula until eggs are almost set (about 30 seconds). Transfer eggs to a plate.
  • Add noodles, scallion greens, and sauce to skillet. Cook, tossing constantly, until noodles are soft (about 1 minute). Add egg mixture and toss to coat, breaking eggs up gently.
  • Serve noodles with lime wedges, topped with cilantro and peanuts.

That's it! Easy peasy! The recipe says it serves 4, which is about right because I ate it for four meals. If you can, I would encourage you to serve it for a few people and eat it all at once. While the flavor was pretty awesome even a couple days later, I found the noodles to be a bit tough when reheated. Not sure if I did something wrong or if that's just the nature of the noodles, but either way, I'd recommend this meal and will definitely make it again! Enjoy. :)

No comments: