Monday, October 11, 2010

I'm Pathetic.

The title says it all. I got a phone call bright and eary this morning from my papa asking (or should I say telling) me that I had to come into work at the shop today. Based on a conversation with him yesterday, I figured the call was coming. So, I begrudgingly got my butt up and headed down to the shop having no idea what the day would hold or how long I'd have to be there. I will take a moment here to mention the fact that I know I'm lucky. I don't have to work there every day, or much at all for that matter, so it's not like the end of the world when I have to go in. Plus, I should consider myself lucky to even have somewhere to work at all. Maybe it's just a pride thing, I don't know. It's just that I did this job for more years than I can count--during high school and beyond--so it's a little tough to stomach coming back to it after spending 6 years in school so I didn't have to do it anymore. The first half of the day consisted of running back and forth and back and forth to get the damn phone in between waiting on customers. I don't mind being on the phone with people, but I had a couple issues today: 1) It's been a long time since I've had to answer any and all meat-related questions, so I felt like a rookie; and 2) I talked to multiple people who had no clue what they were talking about, making it that much more difficult for my rustiness to wear off. Once the phone died down, we were buried in customer inquiries and endless amounts of summer sausage. Sounds like an ideal day, right?! But anyway, you get the drift about what kind of day it was. And this is why I feel pathetic: I worked from 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. (with a small break in there for lunch), and I feel 100% exhausted tonight! I guess I can give myself a little credit since 10 hours is a bit of a long day, plus that entire 10 hours minus the break was spent on my feet. So, there I feel like I'm justified. But folks, let's be real here. The majority of my days are spent dinking around NOT working, so it's a little hard to justify a bitch session after one long day of work. Eh, well. I'm allowed to feel how I feel, so while it is a little pathetic, I'm pooped, and I'm going to head to bed so that I can relive those good 'ol high school days of smelling like meat by doing it all again tomorrow!

No comments: