Sunday, February 3, 2013

Weekend Organization

As you all know by reading my blog, my 'free' weekends are pretty few and far between. While I absolutely love that I pretty much always have somewhere I can be, I also love weekends when I have nothing to do and nowhere to be. Since it happens so rarely, I think I cherish that time even more. Time to cook. Time to clean. Time to run errands. Time to relax. Time to watch TV shows online. All stuff that doesn't seem quite as sweet or enjoyable when I get home at 6:30 on a Monday evening. Kinda reminds me of my last entry, about how I often save all these things for the weekend because I'm so busy otherwise. Doesn't always have to be the case, but regardless, I enjoy my free weekends very much (aside from missing my family and L;). This weekend was no different. I went to happy hour and a movie with my friend Megan on Friday (We saw "The Loneliest Planet" on campus for free - don't watch it. Terrible movie.), but other than that I didn't have anything going on this weekend. When that happens for me, I typically find myself in cleaning and/or organization mode. I tend to neglect some things in my apartment during my normal weeks, and eventually that adds up. Drives me crazy! That being said, I was able to do a number of things that made me feel decently productive. Here, I give you, a weekend of organization. :)
 First, I added new photos of me and L into one of the albums of us. I'm kind of a sap, so I get all pictures of us developed periodically. I keep them in some cool photo albums from my friend Erin's mom. Because I love pictures so much, I may have to come up with a new method soon, because they are getting full. The above photos are all from our time in Colby over Christmas. Some of my favorites of us! :)
 Took a little time to reorganize the bookshelf and change out a few photos to update it. :)
 Weeded out some clothes and did a little more organization of my clothes bins.
Lastly, I totally reorganized my bookshelf in my bedroom. Doesn't do much to not have a 'before' photo, but basically, I wanted to make room for my new colorful binders (middle shelf, left side). I was inspired by a Pinterest post to just get my important things more organized, and they showed those binders from Staples. Not long after I saw the post, I bought the binders online. If interested, you can find them here. :) Anyway, I used to have most of my important documents just sitting in plain manilla folders, but I thought it would be nice to put them in a more organized, presentable format. I've got binders for health info (I've had lots of statements and bills and stuff since moving here and visiting the doctor so often), car/renter's insurance, paycheck stubs, retirement information, and student loan information. I have an empty purple binder that I'm sure I'll find a use for, but for now, this is what I'm working with. Not being entirely sure what to do with them once I put my files in there, I decided it was time to reorganize the bookshelf. For years, I've used the bottom shelf to store my binders from my grad school classes. For some reason, despite graduating from my program 2 and 1/2 years ago, and never pulling out the binders to use them once since then, I have a hard time getting rid of them. That being said, I thought it was at least time to move them off the shelf and into a box that will either go in my trunk or in the parent's house somewhere (sorry, ma;). This also meant moving some other things around. I put most of my actual books on the top shelf, put the binders and my other important documents on the second shelf along with all my fun post-its, lists, extra notepads, etc., and some other random notebooks and books on the bottom shelf. I think I'm pretty content with the new look. Like my sister-in-law Casey mentioned in her blog recently, I am interested in reading more these days, especially since I no longer have homework tying me down. Not sure what I want to read at this point, but I just think it's something I should do more. I enjoy it, and I put it off far too often. Hopefully that changes soon, and if so, then perhaps the bookshelf will need another reorganization in the near future to accommodate the new purchases. ;) Well, not like I'm going to go too crazy, because I'm also trying to budget, but a little 'me' purchase here and there hopefully won't break the bank!

So... There ya have it, folks. In between catching up on the TV show "Scandal," cleaning and organizing the apartment, taking my tablet to Sprint for them to buy it back (I don't use it anymore since getting my iPhone, and they paid me $45 for it, so thought it was worth it), buying myself a new shirt at H&M (can't find the shirt online to show you), and doing a little cooking, I'd call it a successful weekend! I can't believe it's Sunday night already. :( Super Bowl just started. Not overly invested, but I'm rooting for the 49ers. I'll be in the kitchen making dinner soon, but for now, I'll just enjoy my Miller High Life and watch this first quarter unfold. Hope you all had a nice, productive weekend like I did! :)

No comments: