Saturday, January 8, 2011

Couch-to-5K

I will start this entry by saying that I am NOT a New Year's resolution kind of girl. Never have been, and probably never will be. I tend to be a little more realistic than that. ;) That being said, however, the timing of my current goal just happens to coincide with the typical resolution timeline. Call it what you wish, but I don't plan to get hung up on that notion. The goal I am speaking of is to run in at least one 5K (3.1 miles) race this spring and/or summer. For those of you that know me, you can appreciate the fact that this is HUGE. I don't run. Ever. Everrrrrrr. So while 3.1 miles may not seem like a big deal to a lot of people, it is to me. I've seriously only ran a mile once (without stopping) in my entire life, and that was about 10 years ago when I was a freshman in high school. Yikes. Anyway, I did some googling to figure out if it was even possible for a "non-runner" like me to accomplish this, and I stumbled across this great and totally achieveable (I hope) plan called Couch-to-5K. The most awesome part about it? I really think I can do it!! :) The weather hasn't cooperated too well, and obviously I don't own a treadmill, so I took that extra commitment step by signing up at SNAP Fitness the other day. Until my boss pointed it out, I didn't realize that there's actually a SNAP literally across the street from the building I work in. I signed up at that one with the mentality that I'd be most likely to stay successful if I just bring workout clothes to work with me and go straight to SNAP after work and do my routine. That way, I won't even have the opportunity to get home, sit down, and talk myself out of working out. And the really great thing is, I can use any of their facilities now that I'm a member. Not to mention that I have access in the buildings 24/7. Because there are also two locations really close to my apartment, and even one in Colby, I feel like it's almost impossible for me not to go. Oh, and get this! Today I ran across an app for my iPod that actually helps track the regimen and even tells you when to alternate between running and walking as you're actually doing the workouts. That way, you can keep your music playing without having to constantly be checking a timer. I had a stopwatch for my first workout, and it was such a pain in the ass. So, the fact that I found this app makes me even more excited about all of this! One last item that I think will help ensure my success is the fact that I've actually made this pretty public (hello, I'm even putting on my blog). There are a lot of people who know that I'm doing this, so the simple fact that I've announced it makes me a little more accountable because I don't want to let them (or myself) down. I have a few key people in my life right now who have been especially supportive, and I can't thank them enough. Having people encourage me and believe that I can do it is a huge motivator. Totally cheesy, right? :) Anyway, I am SO looking forward to this, and I hope all of you can come watch me run a race in a few months. Wish me luck!!!!

No comments: